Monday, April 25, 2011

Bye Bye Spark Plugs


Scientists and researchers from Japan's National Institute of Natural Sciences (NINS) are developing laser igniter's for use in internal combustion engines. In today's vehicles toxic nitrogen oxides are produced because modern day spark plugs are unable to produce the higher energy sparks needed to burn more air and less fuel. Laser igniter's could burn leaner mixtures without burning themselves out, while also creating faster ignitions, for cooler cylinder walls.
More testing is needed before any real world applications begin to materialize, however with this research we may someday say goodbye to the 150+ year old spark plug.

0 comments:

Post a Comment