Skip to main content

Project: Netgear GS116

Truth be told, this repair was done quite some time ago and is actually part of my structured media home wiring project, which is still ongoing.
This Netgear Prosafe 16 Port Gigabit Switch was part of a Craigslist lot I purchased, containing a bunch of computer equipment.  Seeing as I had no need for this switch, at the time, it just sat in my office collecting dust. Once I started my structured media home wiring project I realized the 16 port Netgear could be quite useful, but after a few unsuccessful attempts at utilizing it I realized it was DOA.
Here's the situation, when this switch is plugged in, an LED will signify the unit is on and working, however whenever an Ethernet cable is inserted into any of the available jacks, there is no LED activity or connectivity. I took to the world wide web and came across a few similar situations all of which indicated that my unit probably had a bad capacitor. To verify if this was indeed the culprit behind my non functioning switch I would need to disassemble my Netgear switch.
By removing a few screws on the back allowed my to slide the cover off and expose the inner working of my switch, not a whole lot to look at besides a long aluminium heatsink. While inspecting the inner working, I came across a capacitor that looked to be bulging, you can see it in the picture below, its the one closest to the heatsink.
I wasn't really sure this was the problem, but I wrote down the part information (6.3v 820uf) and went to source the part. I located the capacitor on Ebay, 5 capacitors for $1.80 (CDN, Shipped), so I ordered them. Three weeks later and the capacitors finally arrived!
I desoldered the old bulging capacitor, and soldered in a new received capacitor. If your attempting this repair yourself, make sure you line up the capacitor so that negative lines up with negative (it's usually the side with a line on it).
I reassembled the Netgears cover, and proceeded to test the unit out. I plugged in the power and the LED turned on, I then plugged in my computers Ethernet cable and the port LED came on. Patched the Netgear switch into my existing network and tested by sending some files, and all is working as it should.
Great success! For $1.80 (CDN), I had fixed this Netgear GS116, and would be soon adding it to my structured media hopme wiring project, stay tuned for that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project: Motorola DCT3416

My brothers Motorola DCT3416 died, and I figured I would attempt to fix it. I want to start out by saying I know very little about PVR's, other than somewhere buried inside is a standard computer hard drive. While dropping off the DCT3416, my brother informs me that it doesn't turn on, and that it makes this clicking noise. My first assumption is that the HD is corrupt and or damaged and preventing the machine from booting. Replacing the internal HD should produce a simple fix, so lets go about doing just that. Replacing the internal HD is going to be slightly more complicated than originally anticipated as the rear of the DCT3416 has 3 tamper proof/security screws, which I do not have a tool for. Instead I used a series of pliers, and 10 minutes later had all the screws removed. Here is what the tamper proof/security screws look like, once removed.   I should add that there is also a plastic security tab, just above the IEEE 1394 jacks, which disintegrated when I attempted to

Longboarding With Team Original

Love this video, makes longboarding look like so much fun. Do they rent longboards? Are there areas to longboard here in BC? Gonna have to find out and finally give this sport a try. Until then I'll have to keep watching this video... Via - LikeCool By: Mass

Blogger Has Died

Dear friends, fans, and followers. For the past few months my blog has been overrun with errors, making changes very difficult (if not impossible). On numerous occasions I've attempted to reset my blogger template, install a new templates, and even restore from an older version but I'm still unable to add or remove specific content from my blogs template. The initial problematic area was the blog post section which refuses to accept any changes or alterations to the date, author, title or social media links. I have suffered through this problem, but as of late it appears that the layout is now no longer accepting changes, and when displayed is no longer centered. If anyone has suggestions on how to fix these blogger issues, please email me. As a result, I will no longer be updating, as its too difficult maintain this blog.